Tuesday, December 14, 2004

I miss Pogo

Last night it dawned on me that Friday the 13th came on Monday this month. All day it had been feeling like a Friday the 13th what with one thing and the other. I owe that little gem of understanding to the comic strip that introduced us to the term "We have met the enemy and he is us." I remember the possum from the Okefenokee along with Albert the Alligator and (I think it was) Bearnum who always spoke in advertising and promotional type along with a host of other characters. There was a lot of good folk wisdom in that strip. Every four years, I still start the election season by saying, "I go Pogo." But last night I really had a hankerin' for that strip again. Where is Walt Kelly when you need him? I GO POGO; I MISS POGO.

5 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Deck us all with Boston Charlie,
Walla Walla, Wash., and Kalamazoo.
Nora's freezin' on the trolley,
Swaller dollar cauliflower, alley-garoo.

5:26 PM  
Blogger Chuck Rightmire said...

David, I'd forgotten Christmas in the Okefenokee, but it surely does come back fast. Thanks for the reminder.

4:56 PM  
Blogger David said...

Bark us all bow-wows of folly,
Lullaby, lilli-by, Louisville lou.
Trolley Molley don't love Harold,
Hoola-boola Pensacoola, hullabaloo.

2:01 PM  
Blogger bedrocktruth said...

I miss Pogo too. After all, them's my kinfolks! You guys used up all the best lines so I'll just say Merry Christmas Chuck, David, everbody........

9:49 AM  
Blogger David said...

Sorry to have made a travesty of this fine old carol. The second verse should begin, "Don't we know archaic barrel?" The "Bark us all bow-wows of folly" begins an unauthorized third verse. Or maybe it's the fourth.

11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Click Here