Saturday, July 01, 2006

on bad examples

This weekend we've got a lot of Harleys in Billings, the big motorcycle rally, with folks spending money, supposedly, like they own the mint. Bartenders, motel and restaurant owners and souvenir shop operators are cheering big time. But I wonder if they've looked at the example being set by a large number of the rally riders. Last night I ate dinner in a restaurant on First Avenue North and watched the motorcycles pass. About one in 10 of the riders wore a helmet. I don't think that's a very good example to set for young people who may be taking up the practice. I don't care if the Harley riders who don't wear helmets do an accident properly and kill themselves in a single vehicle accident. But I don't want them to turn into public assistance vegetables or give someone else a lifetime of guilt because they were in a minor accident with a car but bumped their head on a curb and died.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Click Here